Saturday, May 24, 2008

Tick, tock, tick...


You know when you're standing on a beach and the water's getting sucked out just before a big wave comes in? That's what the run-up to Close of Service feels like now. Not only have we broken the two-month barrier (54 days!), but they've also given plane tickets to those who requested them and promises of cash to those like me who requested otherwise. Only time will tell whether the wave will rush delightfully around my feet or sweep me off balance and drive my face into the sand.


Some of last year's volunteers who've been home for about 10 months now say that it's important to take a breather before jumping back into the swing of things, i.e. getting a job. Apparently, life is pretty fast-paced over there in America, or at least that's what it looks like on TV. I may hole up in Dad's toolshed/bar (see picture) for six weeks and gradually make my way into America in stages, like STAGE ONE: Physical presence, STAGE TWO: Interacting with American social circles, STAGE THREE: Consider looking for work, STAGE FOUR: Do own chores, STAGE FIVE: Start paying for my own food, et cetera.

It's also time to start doing all the things that I've been putting off for two years, whether out of laziness or cultural sensitivity. Here's a sampler:


- Learning how to make khachapuri. My host mom gave my friends and me a run-down on how to create the dough this weekend, so check.

- Memorizing the verb "gadatzkvetileba." It took me two years, but I can finally remember how to say "to decide," as of last week.

- Answering the suggestion, "Stay here and get married!" with "No."


- Taking group pictures with each of my classes. Haven't done this yet, must do soon before they all start skipping in celebration of the last three weeks of school...

- Dumping all the clothing that I won't ever wear again with my host family or in the Free Bin at the Peace Corps lounge. Check!

- Responding to the group of boys yelling "F*** you!" with an obscene gesture. Probably not a good idea, but quite tempting.

So I guess all that's left to do is to watch the days pass faster and faster. There's a bizarrely enormous amount of school-related work left, which will ensure I enter a project-management trance until June 6th... actually, perhaps I'm in that trance now, and that's why it seems like May 3rd was yesterday. It all makes sense now.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page