Thursday, April 17, 2008

Laughing at Students

Everyone likes to laugh at the mistakes of others. Here's some English mistakes that my students have made over the past two years which are particularly dirty/entertaining...



1) He has on blue pants and brown sh**.

This is why we shouldn't teach British English: the kids have to make the R disappear from "shirt" ("shehhhht"), but they sometimes do that a little too successfully.

2) She is my lover teacher.

Call the cops? No, this student is confused because Georgian uses the same word for "lover" and "favorite." I didn't really pick up on this until one of them wrote about their friend's father having two "favorites."

3) I poured oatmeal into my bowel.

Just a mispronunciation, but it leads to the least appetizing mental picture ever.

4) I was fart of a singing group.

She means "part," of course, but the whole entire year she kept saying "fart" despite my alternating giggles and scolding. Some Georgian children confuse P and F because the letter F is used in text messages for the Georgian soft P, while the P is used for the hard P. A lot of fart, farents, haffiness and such results.

5) Do you like cock?

You might wonder why this isn't bleeped out like the first entry was. WELL, it's because this is not a mistake, except for on the part of the books that are ignorant of the better word, "rooster." Drop your articles, and you have a very forward inquiry, indeed. See runner-up: "I have a large, nice cock." ROOSTER, children. ROOSTER.

And lastly, my favorite...

6) We go to the seaside and get ****anned.

This one was written on the board by a student and then read aloud by my counterpart, much to my chagrin, but I really can't write any part of it here. To form this nonexistent and extremely dirty-sounding word, you should know that the word the student is looking for is "suntanned." You should also know that they learn Russian from the second grade here, and sometimes they confuse the Russian and English alphabets. In the Russian alphabet, the "s" sound is made by the letter C. See where this leads?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cuntanned. you really dont have to bleep out nonexistent words.

Casey said...

Yes, Jennifer, indeed I did get a chuckle from this blog.
Mummy

Locations of visitors to this page