Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas for Me

Christmas for Georgia is January 7th (can't say that too many times), but 8 of us volunteers got together at an expat's house to have a Christmas party in a land of bacon cheeseburgers and wireless internet-- those Americans who live here and get paid have a much different standard of living than the rest of us-- and so I'm usurping my sitemate's laptop to take ten seconds and say Merry Christmas! I didn't end up spending it in my room alone listening to Christmas carols... rather, we had hot cocoa, played Scattergories, and watched It's a Wonderful Life. And it's snowing! Rather perfect, minus the whole 8000 miles away from friends and family thing.

But nay! A Christmas blog posting is not the time for whining. It is the time for being thankful that I'm still in the Peace Corps, that I got a cushy assignment that makes it more likely that I'll be here for the whole two years, that I'm in the 21st century Peace Corps and can actually communicate with people I miss, that my Georgian language acquisition is coming along, that that the other people in Peace Corps are not the pot-smoking non-bathing hippies I thought they'd be, and that I'm not dead. You can't be too thankful for not being dead.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Lisa From Queens said...

Happy new year, Jen!

Jennifer said...

Didi madloba, Lisa! Gilotsav akhal tsels to you too!

Locations of visitors to this page