Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A lesson in awkward

I figured that maybe I could stay away from the internet cafe today because I was attending a student's birthday supra, but apparently that plan failed. Anyway, why a student's birthday supra is awkward:

1) All supras are awkward. For birthday's especially, when it's a 30-person eatfest with sporadic, embarrassing (for me, they're really good at it) dancing, and generally sitting around socializing in a language that I barely know for 5 hours or so. Just when you think it's wrapping up, more food comes out. And let's add to the awkardness: you have to make a toast to drink your wine every time, so unless you want your glass to sit there full the entire time, you've gotta get the table's attention and toast something. In Georgian. Usually peace, friendship, the dead, parents, children, siblings, God, sweet memories, something like that.

2) Any supra is awkward when you are 15 years old, all your friends are 15 years old, and you invite your teacher. Isn't that a universal truth?

I guess that's it, but that's enough. In better news, there's three days of school left for me before I leave for Turkey! Our PC director gave us Monday off for Christmas even though Georgian Christmas isn't for a couple weeks, and I really appreciate that because other I would have been teaching on December 25th, a Monday no less.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page