Friday, March 14, 2008

Premature Imagination

I'm wondering now if maybe the turn of spring has made me a little too excited for July 17th, and if perhaps I need to tone down my looking-forward quotient in order to make it through the remainder of the school year. Granted, what remains of the school year is not much-- especially when one takes into consideration that after I get back from COS conference in mid-May, the kids will probably have stopped attending-- but still, maybe it's time to go one week at a time.

Why do I think this? Well, this morning I was loathe to go to school. This level of loathe doesn't happen often, and I think it's because it's cloudy today, which is no excuse but is still a relevant factor. I arrived at school to find the English cabinet room locked, which was a bad sign because my counterpart has the lesson before me on Mondays. Turns out that my counterpart's mother had a medical emergency, and my counterpart couldn't come that day. Just then, my 8th form filed in, the most out-of-control class with or without the presence of my counterpart, but especially so without. Praise the Lord, the assistant director believed me this time when I said I wasn't qualified or permitted to teach alone (first time in 2 years she's listened to me! progress!), and the kids were shuffled off to the French teacher. I called my counterpart, who instructed me to ask the director to do the same for the other two upcoming lessons.

Me: So Tsira wanted me to ask you to put the classes together, the 6th and the 9th form, with their parallel classes.
Director: Then you'll teach them both?
Me: I can't teach alone. Tsira will be back tomorrow.
Director: But she won't be back today.
Me: I don't have permission to teach alone.
Director: I know that's the rule, but... you won't be teaching the lessons today?
Me: No.

Despite my concrete knowledge that I was only brought to the 3rd school to write grants-- and this is not hearsay or rumormongering, this is what I was told by the school-- I still felt a little guilty. Was I exercising my legitimate right to stick to the parameters of my Peace Corps program, or was I skipping out because I didn't feel like teaching? In either case, I doubt very much that my counterpart will be there tomorrow, so I'll probably end up teaching by myself anyway and balancing the karma. Or was the karma balanced when I taught by myself for two straight weeks in December? In any case, it reminded me that there is a lot more school left, and perhaps it would be good to focus.

*******

Note from the next day: I am psychic. I did end up teaching alone today, just in time for an encore performance from the 8th form, so I've done my penance for my laziness and/or attention to rules. I confiscated two cell phones, slapped one desk with my notebook, and dragged one child by the arm to another desk. All the while, work/slave songs were playing in my head; they really do keep you going... "He picked up a hammer and a little piece of steel, said this hammer's gonna be the death of me, lawd, lawd, this hammer's gonna be the death of me."

I also started having heart palpitations. Coincidence?

1 comment:

Casey said...

Oh Honey... heart palpitations from the kids? RAH to the kids. You are too funny with your blog entries. I, for one, am very excited for 7.17.08 too.
Mummy

Locations of visitors to this page