Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thank you for your application

I appreciate that the NGO I applied to had the courtesy to use that phrase in the subject line of their rejection email to me, as opposed to something more ambiguous, like "And the answer is..." and then you open it and it says "...NO!" In any case, my job search is back to square one, which is not such a step back since most job openings for August/September aren't even posted yet. But still, I kind of wanted to work there.


The beginning of my illustrious career

Most of the volunteers in my group are now in the thick of their post-Peace Corps planning. A select few are continuing their service in another country, including one volunteer who, after two years in Georgia, apparently dreams of the Kyrgyz Republic. A few have applied to grad school or law school, while another few refuse to look beyond post-Peace Corps travel when planning for the future-- which would be my category if not for the student loans I took to fund the acquisition of my useless job-repelling degree. NYU, the gift that keeps on giving.


Waitressing, my once and future profession.

The rest of us are looking for jobs. Popular sources of employment-based pipe dreams include Craig's List, the US government jobs listing, and idealist.org. Most of the jobs on these sites are either very unattainable or very unpaid. Much as I'd like to be the Director of Acquisitions for the Department of Homeland Security, they might find my resume lacking.


Plays well with others

As I said earlier, any of you loyal readers who happen to be the heads of international non-profits with job vacancies should feel free to leave a comment on this post. I'll work in any country, learn any language, brew any kind of coffee, etc. if it means coming into contact with diplomats, aid workers, foreign nationals, refugees, or any combination of the above. Does your NGO bring together foreign aid workers? Does it house refugee diplomats? I'm there.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page